Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Setting our musical goals

My first week of piano lessons is done. I have amazing students, ages five to seventy five.

I've been asking students to identify some long and short term goals. Finish the sentence: someday, I want to play.....

In five years, I want to play....

This year, I'm going to learn....

And the reponses I'm getting blow me away.

Some day, I want to play.....Beethoven Sonatas, the Pachelbel Canon, Fur Elise (okay, no surprises there), in the jazz band, duets with my friend, for church....

In five years, I want.....to play for people in the hospital, to be the drum major of the marching band, to play the Entertainer....

This year, I'm going to.... learn my bass clef notes (YES!!!), finish the level one books and move on to level two, make a DVD of me playing my favorite songs, practice every day....

This piano teacher's job is to make those dreams come true. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment