Friday, September 18, 2009

Em: The Other Side

So on Wednesday night, church choir started again!

I walked in with my parents (Mom-- first soprano, Dad-- baritone) and wondered where I should sing this year. I had previously been a first soprano, but I realized I couldn't always sing a high G when the music told me to. After a bit of pondering, I decided on being an alto. The women around me were very welcoming. "Welcome to the Other Side!" they said. "Glad you saw the light!"

The Senior Choir is primarily made up of adults.There's no rule against us youth joining, it's just that nobody had done it in a long time. My sister was the last one to do it two years ago.
Then she went to college, and back at home I decided to join the Choir too. I was ready for more challenging music. Thing is, all my friends were expecting me at the youth choir. The director told them I had gone to Senior Choir, and one week later two of my fellow highschoolers were at rehearsal with me. Eventually there were five youth in a sea of... older people. Everybody seemed happy to have us though, and most of us are back again this year.

This week I had to get used to singing harmony all over again, although it eventually came back to me. It was fun! When we were done with rehearsal, my soprani friends assumed mock outrage and asked, "What's with the defection?" "You're not singing with us anymore?" I had gone over to the Dark Side. Oh well. The Dark Side is my place...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment