Friday, September 18, 2009

Em: Important Question

The question of the day for me-- no, more like month-- is this: What happens if you die before you return your library books?

Not that I plan on dying. But really. This random thought has been rolling around in my brain for a few weeks now. I don't even remember how it came up. I just want an answer. If I died unexpectedly, my family would be too busy making funeral arrangements to return a few books, right? So they are overdue for a few days, and then they are eventually forgotten about (what with everybody too busy grieving still). Does the library have to be told of my death so that my overdue fees can be forgiven, or does the city pick up the tab? I like libraries, but I never thought of them as forgiving. Maybe my next of kin just has to pay for it. They probably wouldn't like that, because I always get lots of books. It's really been bothering me for some reason. I've been afraid to ask my local librarians, because it is a kind of wacky thing to ask.

I heard awhile ago on Minnesota Public Radio that the longest overdue library book was checked out in the late 1800's or early 1900's (can't remember exactly when, but MPR doesn't lie). The overdue fees were probably in the thousands.

Do you think there's an answer to my question? If anybody has any idea, let me know, then I'll start thinking about better things, like whether Goofy is a dog or a human, and how to bring peace to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment