Friday, April 1, 2011

Paper Sunflowers

About five years ago someone in my family got a paint-by-number kit for Christmas. Despite all his best intentions, thr recipient never actually used it, and it's been sitting in the basement in its box all these years.
It's a really cool image, too. You'd probably recognize it:



Yeah, Van Gogh's sunflowers! I thought it was too cool to ignore any longer, so I decided to start the painting this morning. I opened the containers of paint all excited...and they were rock solid. Dried up completely. So I was bummed, because then the blank canvas would be wasted. I thought about coloring it with markers, adding some sort of Andy Warhol twist to the image, since I only had blue, red, yellow, black, and red in my color arsenal. I decided against it, though. Crayons? No. Colored pencils? Don't have any. Then I got it: collage.

Let me make this clear: When it comes to the visual arts, I'm all vision, and hardly any implementation. Plus, I'm just not that gifted with it in the first place. I'm going to make a collage of the sunflowers, cut up almost all our magazines and spend a lot of time on it, but the finished product will still look like a 1st grader's. (not dissing you, 1st graders, it's just truth!)
Nevertheless, I can't wait to see how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment