Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hey, did you hear about this?
Last week a congresswoman named Donna Edwards (D-Maryland) was testifying before Congress against the proposal for a government shutdown. Instead of uninterestingly going on and on about her views, she quoted the band the White Stripes! When I heard this I burst out laughing, because...well, Congress is kind of old. Exactly how many representatives would even know the reference? Even I as a fan didn't recognize the song she chose to quote, "Effect and Cause," which came off of their 2007 album, and didn't get much air play. But I'm all for shaking people up to get their attention, ya know?

This is "Effect and Cause," from which Congresswoman Edwards quoted.



What's even funnier is that we avoided the government shutdown. Does that mean rock and roll saved the day? Maybe, maybe not, but it makes me smile to think they at least had a small hand in it all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment