Monday, July 15, 2013

Love is Love

On Monday, I witnessed history.

It was a last minute decision. My friend and I drove to the Capitol to watch Governor Dayton sign the same-sex marriage bill into law, which as of August 1st gives gay and lesbian couples the legal right to get married.
We got there a little early and explored the Capitol building. Turns out it contains a lot of sketchy hallways and tunnels, a cafeteria with walls decorated with German table blessings, and more people in suits than I was prepared for.
So many people were milling about, and you could sense the excitement.
As it got closer to 5 o'clock, we gathered in front of the Capitol steps. What followed is a problem that I've been dealing with all my life.
I couldn't see anything. I'm around 5'2. We were near the media crews, so we were rather close to the podium. I'm glad we showed up when we did, because there were thousands of people there. Except I didn't know this, because I couldn't see past the people in front or behind me! I must admit, I was somewhat disappointed--I wanted to take great pictures to post on here. This was a big deal--my friends are finally getting the equal rights they deserve! I felt like I couldn't be a good witness to it now.
But let me tell you what I did see.

I saw families. Moms and moms, dads and dads, with their babies and toddlers and 8 year olds and teenagers. This was the most meaningful part for me. I don't consider family to be just about shared genes. It's about people who you share a bond with and are with you every step of the way. These families with gay parents were always families in my mind, and now I felt an indescribable happiness knowing that they would soon become legally recognized as such, and would enjoy the same benefits and protection that any straight-parented family might have.

Rainbow flags. Raised high, waving in the air, held by old guys and and 20-something moms. One of them was 10 feet tall, each color with a different streamer, being held up over the grass between the Capitol steps. On our way out we walked by and it almost swallowed me like Charlie Brown's kite-eating tree.

Dizzy, dehydrated, sunburned, but nonetheless happy people. And I was one of them!

Middle-aged 9-5 desk-job types standing next to frisbee-throwing hippies. I love America.

No signs of a protest. I'm sure there must have been some anti-gay marriage group there. It's sad that I assume so, but we live in a time where it's always within the realm of possibility. But from what I could tell, it was a joyous, calm event, celebrating the fact that equality had triumphed.





No comments:

Post a Comment