Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Graduation

This weekend I was in Ripon, Wisconsin--home of Rippin' Good Cookies! Birthplace of the
Republican Party!--to celebrate my sister Mari's graduation from Ripon College. It was a gorgeous two days, with plenty of sun, but no sunburn. And we realized that the neighboring town of Green Lake possesses--what?!--a lake! Which is gorgeous as well! And not green! I felt it a small injustice that the exact day before we lose any reason to return to Ripon and Green Lake, Wisconsin, that we finally discovered the lake. Ah well.

There were many pictures. My favorite was when my grandma was trying to take a nice picture of my sister and mom. Just moments previously, our family of American history buffs had suggested that we go visit the birthplace of the Republican Party just for kicks and giggles. It's a little white schoolhouse in the middle of town. All I said was, "Hey, wouldn't you rather have your picture taken at the Republican place?" And as the camera flashes, she makes this face:


~~

It was weird to think that in only three years from now, I will be the one graduating, probably overheating in a black robe, getting an awkward burn line on my forehead from a funny hat, and going on to do who-knows-what with my newly earned degree.

I inwardly cringe when I hear people say that college is four of the best years of your life. To me, that makes it sound as if your life hasn't started yet. But mine has been...for my whole life (shocker!). So I will cherish my time at college, but not forget that there are bigger and better things down the road that I can't even anticipate.

No comments:

Post a Comment