Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Graduation, again

Our third child has reached that stage of life known as high school graduation. It's a little bit surreal. As a family that homeschools with the philosophy that learning is a life long endeavor, to mark an "ending" of schooling seems odd. This particular form of schooling ends, the learning never does.

And yet, it is good to recognize and celebrate this transition from home and family to continuing the learning in a different setting.

As each child 'graduated,' we have asked family and friends to contribute their thoughts -- memories and bits of advice -- to a book that we have compiled for the graduate.

I am always stunned at the thoughts people share.

As connected as I am with my children, they have lives apart from mine and my influence. This is a good thing.

I am so grateful for the people who have been part of my children's lives. They so often notice and remark upon aspects of the child's personality or gifts that I take for granted. They see it as special, whereas I just see it as *Emily*.

And I love the pieces of advice they share. Sometimes it's something they heard from their own parents. Sometimes it's something they've learned the hard way.

Best of all, so many of the people in my children's lives share their foundation of faith with her. Remember, Emily, you are one of God's children, now and forever. Rembember, Emily, God will help you when you need help and guidance. Remember, Emily, you are baptized. Remember, Emily, you can be a witness of God's love in the world.

Thanks to all who have or will contribute to this book.

1 comment:

  1. ! Oh mom, I can feel your heart - peace to you in this transition time for you too.

    ReplyDelete