Friday, February 25, 2011

Encyclopedia

My dad read these encyclopedias when he was a kid--he really likes history.
My older brother spent hours flipping through them as a five year old, looking at the pictures and absorbing the information. And they still sit there on our shelf, still being used.



Most of the time if I have a question I'll ask my mom, or Google it, or when I ask my mom she'll tell me to Google it. But a lot of the time I still like to crack open these dusty smelling books. Most of the pictures are black and white, but every once in awhile a page will just jump out in color



I like looking through the books because I usually stumble on a random something that I hadn't noticed before. There are silly pictures illustrating how a bill gets passed into law in the Canadian government, and also of the dangers of space travel.



And since it was published in the 1960s, there's a bit of information on countries that don't exist anymore and gadgets that have been proved obsolete.




Even encyclopedias are in danger of becoming obsolete. But as long as they're around, I'll keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment