Saturday, December 18, 2010

Unsubscribe & Delete

11 Things: What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?

I spend a lot of time on the computer, for work, for volunteer tasks, for pleasure. But lately I spend the first several minutes of email sessions just deleting, deleting all kinds of stuff I no longer want to read. So I've started to become intentional about getting rid of the clutter. Here are eleven things I'm going banish from my in box:

1. Daily horoscopes. How did I get on that list?

2. Vegetarian recipes of the day. They're really not all that appetizing, sorry.

3. Discussion lists for homeschoolers with young families looking for playdates. My youngest is 14.

4. Dell Deals of the week. I just bought a computer, don't need another one just yet.

5. Facebook notifications. When I want to play on Facebook, I'll go there. Why read it twice?

6. College parent and alumni newsletters.

7. Screen It weekly newsletter. I rarely go to movies anymore, and I put more weight on what I hear from my friends. If I want to read reviews, I can go to the website.

8. Weekly sale updates from an online auction site that I used once, for one specific item not available anywhere else.

9. Two of the three daily devotions I receive. I tried them, they're all okay, but one stands out in a way the others do not.

10. Non profit organization emails for groups that I no longer have an interest in contributing to. Priorities change.

11. Follow up emails from a marketing seminar I attended. It was good, but now I have that information, thanks.

How will deleting and unsubscribing change my life in 2011? I hope I'll be more efficient with email and spend less time on the computer, feel less overwhelmed with information that's no longer relevant to my life, and have more time and attention to spend at the piano and with the people I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment