Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Travel bug

For as long as I can remember, our family has always gone on a trip for summer vacation. Nothing exotic (think Wisconsin on the lake, a cabin in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, Northern Minnesota), but a good time away. Every summer since 6th grade I've gone on some sort of service trip with my church: Rapid City, Quad Cities, then a big leap to Tanzania (though technically it wasn't a service trip...), then to Kentucky with Appalachian Service Project, Tanzania again (I know, awesome, right?), and Milwaukee with Habitat for Humanity. I'm going there again next summer (woot woot), but I'm getting the antsy travel bug now. My list of places to go keeps on getting bigger and bigger: Germany, the U.K., Scandinavia, Spain, Argentina, Canada, the Gulf Coast, the Boundary Waters (and every national park in the U.S.), France (not Paris), India, Iceland, New England and Australia.
It's kind of odd, because if you give me too much time to think, I'll be too afraid to get on a plane, as a fairly new driver I'd rather not be the one behind the wheel, and if you asked me where the money to fund it all would come from I would just stay home and watch "Globe Trekker" on PBS for the rest of my life. So what to do with this? (Suck it up) Yes, there's an idea.
If I went to some of these places, I'd want to see a bit of everything, of course. For example, if I went to England, yes, I'd go see a few things in London--the things you're "supposed" to see, but I'd want to take the road less traveled, not too much tourist stuff. I'd have to do some music geek stuff, but that's my only real requirement. Along with getting my picture taken at King's Cross Station between platforms 9 and 10. I'd also want to watch the Welsh language news because I can't understand how all those consonants can be pronounced. But that's it. Those are my only must-dos.
That's the fun thing about traveling, getting to see what real life is like in a place, hearing how people talk, and meeting those people. I think it would be really cool to go someplace with only the smallest inkling of what's supposed to happen when I get there.
I suppose my time to travel will come soon. It could happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment